The school building itself sits high atop a campus of 66 acres and is divided into three main areas: An academic wing on the eastern side of the building that includes 3 floors of classrooms, labs, a chapel, a nurse’s office, student life, and academic offices, and college counseling offices; a middle wing for fine arts that includes a 600 seat auditorium, a band room, three studio classrooms, a choral room, and the student cafeteria; and the athletic wing on the most western side of the building.
On the first floor of the athletic wing there are:
- a large public gymnasium for basketball and volleyball contests
- an auxiliary gym for practices and elementary school games
- a wrestling gymnasium
- coaches’ offices and the athletic director’s office
- male and female locker-rooms
In the basement of the athletic wing are:
- two weight-rooms, one an “Olympic” weight-room for heavy training and building of muscle mass, and the second for circuit training and isometric exercises, both newly renovated.
- an athletic training room (staffed by a full time, licensed athletic trainer)
- additional coaches’ offices
- additional male locker-rooms
Outside, on the lower fields beneath the school are:
- six tennis courts
- a baseball stadium with bleachers to seat 800 spectators
- a softball field
- batting cages for both softball and baseball
- two full length practice fields
Because of a magnificent gift by Nashville philanthropist Jim Carell, JPII has recently added:
- A large concessions building that supports both upper and lower fields, which includes concessions, mens’ and women’s rest rooms, a spirit store, and a meeting room
- A courtyard plaza and pavilion for outdoor gatherings
- A renovated upper stadium for lacrosse and football, which includes artificial turf for the upper stadium, new fencing, brick facades around both home and visiting bleachers, a second entranceway into the stadium, and new fencing and landscaping
- A new 8-lane track and a renovated soccer complex on the lower field, including naturally tiered seating, new side-walking, fencing and extensive storm drainage improvements
The cumulative effect of all these facility upgrades are beautiful to behold. To see aerial views, go here.